Pages

7/25/2007

Trashion team spotlight - Interview : ReneeDesigns

Shop name: ReneeDesigns

Shop address:
http://reneedesigns.etsy.com

In a nutshell:
I love to make jewelry that you won’t see everywhere. I started out making “traditional” beaded jewelry but then I added broken vintage components, hardware and paper to the mix. I love the freedom that designing jewelry gives me.
Tell us a bit about yourself:
Renee Fensin, Milwaukee, WI

I am married and have a beautiful 18 month old daughter we adopted from China. I really dig hanging out with my daughter watching Sesame Street, playing with her toys and listening to all of the new words she has learned.

Trashion materials:
Paper, hardware, other found items

I transform them into:
Jewelry
How do you do it?
I’ve recently been working mainly in collage, taking magazines, newspapers and junk mail and transforming them into beautiful pendants and earrings.

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?
I’ve always collected magazines for inspiration for my jewelry. I would rip out interesting articles, photos etc. for later use. However later never really came. When we were getting ready for our daughter’s arrival, I started going through the files I had realizing that there were beautiful pieces of jewelry waiting to come out of something that so many would just throw away. I believe that it is my responsibility as a mother to make the world my daughter lives in a more beautiful place, one small way I can do this is to recycle and reuse the paper and junk mail that comes may way.
Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?
What was it?

Well I’m sure the first thing I made with recycled or upcycled things were the popsicle stick frames and macaroni art in grade school. But the first official trashion piece of jewelry was a ring made out of my grandmother’s broken earring.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
I am currently working on collage pieces using fashion magazine images, including paperdolls and doll clothes. I would like to create more original artwork by introducing painting to the collage. I think it would be wonderful to have a miniature art work around your neck.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?
I think people should buy handmade items because there is more care going into the creation of the item. The artist or crafter puts a piece of their heart and soul into everything they make. Trashion is just one more step in this process, the artist takes something that had one use and gives it another life reducing the amount of junk in the world.

Can you tell us anything about the trunk show?

I am very excited to be attending the show in Brooklyn. I can’t wait to meet all the other trashionistas from the street team.

More you'd like to share:
Since I have started working in the trashion mode, I feel much more free in my art. I am much more open to experimentation. Doing this is giving me the same feeling about creating art that I had as a child.

No comments: