Pages

7/19/2007

Trashion team spotlight - Interview : EyePopArt


Shop name: Eye Pop Art

Shop address: http://www.eyepopart.etsy.com/

In a nutshell:

Mandalas art and accessories made from recycled vinyl records

Tell us a bit about yourself:
Christine Claringbold - mom, artist, art teacher, music lover

I have a husband and two kids, ages 13 and 11.

I have filled my house with psychedelic murals and I paint on just
about everything including furniture and my car.

I have been teaching art to elementary kids for the last eight years,
and I am also offering mandala classes for all ages this summer through
http://www.diylounge.com/ and http://www.workingartistsonline.com/ . I am
also the store manager and website manager (and one of the artisan
members) for Trillium Artisans, a nonprofit organization that supports
Portland artists who use recycled and reclaimed materials - please visit
us at http://www.trilliumartisans.org/ .

Right now I am a member of the Vignettes - we are the backup singers
for my husband's punk rock band, Dartgun. I also play a little flute and
I have played bass guitar in a few bands as well.

Trashion materials: Vinyl records

I transform them into:

Mandala Clocks, Mandala Bowls, Feng Shui Mirrors, and Roman Record Cuffs

How do you do it?

With acrylic paints and lots of imagination.

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?

I have never had a lot of money to spend on canvases, so I just started
painting on whatever was lying around. Being involved in trashion was
just a natural step, as the recycled-materials concept is really my
"niche."

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?
My very first painting was done on the front panel of my old hardshell
suitcase. The Greyhound tags were still attached. I was briefly
living in Montana at the time, and I was pregnant with my first child. I
just wanted to paint, and it was all I could find. After that I painted
my husband's guitar (since then I've done quite a few guitars), and did
the entire interior of our car, a 1970 Galaxie 500.

After we moved back home to Portland I started painting on records, an
idea I got from our good friend Billy Brahm, who is an awesome artist
himself, and he still paints records - he just gave me one the other day
and I love it!

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
I have recently started my blog, http://eyepopart.blogspot.com/ , so I am
getting into the whole blogging thing. I am also on Etsy's Portland
street team and we are planning another outdoor art show for August 11 -
visit http://www.pdxetsy.com/ for more info. I also hope to go to New
York in October for the PDX Etsy trunk show - hopefully I'll make
enough money at my summer job (teaching ceramics at Oregon College of Art
and Craft's kids summer camp) to swing it.

I have been painting my car this summer, practicing with the band, and
hanging out in the pool! I am also continuing to make new designs in
my record cuffs to sell on Etsy.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?

People should buy handmade because mass produced stuff is boring. When you buy
trashion, you are also helping to keep reusable materials from going into the
landfills, which is a positive step that everyone should take toward
helping to save the planet Earth!

Can you tell us anything about the etsy trashion trunk show?
I am really excited about the trunk show! I will not be there in
person by I am sending a box of my products and my friend Joan, who lives in
Brooklyn, will be attending in my place and selling my items. I think
this is such a wonderful and unique opportunity to expose my work to a
completely new group of people (in New York!!!) - another reason why I
am so glad to have discovered Etsy!

More:
Watch HGTV's "Look What I Did" on September 19, 2007 at 6:00 pm ET/PT.
I will be featured in a segment called "Psychedelic in Portland"
which is all about how I transformed my master bedroom/studio into a
psychedelic wonderland of bright colors and fabulous mandalas. Tune in!

1 comment:

cjbc said...

Thanks for publishing my interview!