Pages

6/15/2008

Trashion Team Spotlight- Interview with Tammy of Junck!

Shop name: junck

Shop address: http://www.junck.etsy.com

Other sites: http://www.flickr.com/photos/junck1/





Trashion materials:
credit/gift cards, box card, pillowcases... anything I can find really!

What do you transform them into?
I transform the credit cards into jewelry (rings, bracelets, earrings) and hairbands or headbands. I make business cards from old box card (cereal boxes etc.) and I make skirts, shirts and dresses from pillowcases (old and new) my current favourite is a skirt I made from my old Star Wars pillowcase!!

How do you do it?

For the jewelry, each item has a process that is a slightly different. For a necklace, I cut up the cards into smaller pieces (I call these my "card beads"), sand the edges and drill holes into each piece. I often add other beads to these card beads by stringing them onto headpins which I then attach to the card bead.


Shop name: junck

The box card business cards are pretty self explanatory - but I am a graphic designer by day, so I am compelled to cut each card from the most interesting section of the box!

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?

I grew up in a trashion house!! I first thing I can remember making is a doll. I made her from one of my uncles old hankies... she didn't have a face but she did have a scrap piece of rabbit fur for hair!

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?

I just started making rings and hairbands with the card beads and I'm loving them! I want to try making some boxes from the cards as well... On the horizon? I need to get more items in my Etsy shop!



Why should people buy handmade and from trashion?
When you buy something handmade, you really feel you have made a contribution. You can clearly see how your purchase affects the maker - its nice to be thanked by the creator of the item! You feel more connected to the whole process... its a good feeling!

When you purchase from a Trashion member, you've not only supported an independent artist, you are helping the environment! MORE ART/LESS WASTE!

Anything else you'd like to add?

There are so many incredible shops within the Trashion Team! It is SO inspiring to see such creativity!! Thank you for the interview!

Thank you for sharing your innovative work with us Tammy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Thats all.