Pages

3/28/2008

Trashion Team Spotlight Interview- Pink Graffiti!

Shop name: Pink Graffiti

Shop address: http://lesleyanne.etsy.com

In a nutshell: Pink Graffiti is a shop that carries one of a kind handmade jewelry, clothing and accessories, most of which are made from recycled materials!


Tell us a bit about yourself : I am a full-time Interior Designer in Manhattan, designing commercial offices and fashion showrooms. I graduated from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan before moving to the big city (Detroit isn't really technically a big city :) ), with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interior Design, and a minor in Fiber Design. Working with fibers is really my passion, thus Pink Graffiti was born! I spend my spare time making jewelry and clothing from fabric in my studio, specializing in taking recycled clothing and embellishing it with floral patterns. I am also a knitter, but I choose to knit for gifts rather than for my shop. I started a knitting circle in the city with some of my friends, we get together once a week to knit and drink tea and chat.

Trashion materials:
Recycled sweaters and cardigans, any old clothing that can be used for fabric, bottle caps, used games, like toys, and puzzles


I transform them into: Embellished clothing, accessories and funky jewelry.

How do you do it? My main technique is applique by machine sewing. I love my Janome sewing machine. It was a gift to myself when I finally moved into my own apartment. I do some hand-embroidery and embellishments, like adding beads. As for the jewelry from toys and puzzles, it only requires a hole-punch, my Dremel tool, and some silver findings! I have some tutorials on my blog showing my techniques. http://pink-graffiti.blogspot.com
Or you can go specifically to this entry



What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?
I was really inspired by a lot of what I saw in local shops, all of the embellishments to a normal cardigan. I thought, I can do that. I have so much fabric and embroidery floss, it was very easy to get started. The thrift stores in Michigan are just amazing, and I was able to stock up on gently used cardigans and sweaters. I am involved with Trashion because I think there are so many materials out there just begging to be beautified. I want to be a part of it, I want to help this world recycle something old and make it into something someone will treasure.

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept? Yes, I still remember the first cardigan I made.
What was it? A recycled white cardigan, with appliqued blossom petals. It was one of the first things I sold in my Etsy shop! I did so much sketching and prototypes before selling. It was the beginning of a great vision.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon? I am always working on sweater projects. Another cardigan is in the making right now, something similar to the purple sweater in my tutorial. I am also making more leg warmers from recycled sweater sleeves!
And I'm always making jewelry out of toys, bottle caps and puzzles. For the future, I am sketching and collecting materials, experimenting with different techniques. Keep an eye on my shop for new products!!



Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?
I will always recommend buying handmade simply because you are going to have something so unique and one of a kind. I myself don't particularly like the mainstream jewelry and fashion all the time, and I always find something completely amazing when I buy handmade, either from Etsy or from local craft shows. Buying from Trashion is especially amazing, simply because you know you are buying something that has been recycled!


More you'd like to share:
I love what Etsy Trashion is doing. It is seriously an honor to be a part of this team.

Thanks for talking to us about how you began Pink Graffiti Lesley! We look forward to checking out more of your awesome designs!

2 comments:

Jane Pierce aka zJayne said...

I enjoyed this interview and am always amazed at the creative talent that abounds on Etsy and in the recycle world.

Awesome repurposing! You Rock!

Ginnie Hart said...

She's my niece and I'm darn-tootin' proud of her! :)