Pages

9/10/2007

Trashion team spotlight - Interview: S.C. Libertine

Shop name: S.C. Libertine- Handmade Vintages and Unusual Trinketries

Shop address:
www.sclibertine.etsy.com

Tell us a bit about yourself : Former preacher's kid turned gothy squatter now crazy cat lady, with over ten years of costuming experience and a love of the Absurd.

Trashion materials: Mostly various articles of clothing and fabrics

I transform them into: more attractive and interesting articles of clothing!

How do you do it? Quite a bit of profanity and gin.

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?
I look at a bridesmaid dress, and see a fabulous cocktail gown. I look at a skirt and see a bag. It's just the way my brain works. The mass-consumerism of society gets me down, and I like to show the many beautiful ideas waiting to be found in just one simple item.

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept? No, I've been doing it for so long...it started when I would see something in Vogue, or a historical book, and wanted one.

Unable to afford materials, I use what's at hand.

What was it?
I don't like to wear t-shirts, so I would cut off collars and sleeves, and sew in empire waistlines or sew on other shirts to make a dress...and always Halloween costumes.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
I have oodles, en queue. A velvet skirt and hooker dress are almost a clutch. A vintage robe into a dress. Other skirts into tote bags.

On the horizon, I'd like to make more haute couture (that means "weird" in fashion talk) pieces, and lots of costumes.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?
People should buy handmade - at least from me - because there is love and thought and feeling, in everything I do. It is not mass-produced. I sit and spend my entire day, and more, pinning and repinning, sewing and ripping stitches. It is art.

More you'd like to share:

I am very pleased to see I am not alone! My friends think I'm weird, wandering around the Goodwill holding up god-awful 80s vomit muttering, "This is awesome..."

1. Picture one is Marie Antoinette in the works, a bridesmaid dress taken apart and turned backwards, piece of lace and an old skirt

2. Picture two is me as the White Witch of Narnia. The crown is a kid's tiara, plastic flowers, and Xmas decorations. The cape is curtains and Xmas tree trim. The dress is a nightgown, Easter bunny ears, more Xmas decorations, mesh from a tent. The sleeves are pantyhose.

3. This fairy dress is a nightgown, a shirt, a pillowcase, curtains and lace trim found in some trash.

No comments: