Pages

4/25/2009

Interview with Alex from alexkeller jewelry

Shop address- http://alexkeller.etsy.com
Other sites- flickr.com/photos/alexpkeller
alexkellerblog.blogspot.com


What draws you to using trashion materials?
Initially, it was about saving some money and still be able to do what I enjoy. But it's also become about saving resources.


What trashion materials do you use?
I use pieces of jewelry from thriftshops - things people have donated because they didn't want them anymore. I also find a lot of jewelry at resale shops, of which there are many!
I've raided my own jewelry and am always looking for donations!
I also use recycled gift boxes and packaging.


Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?
The first thing I made was probably when I was little. My mom used to sew a lot of our clothes, and she would save the scraps for me to make things. I remember making Barbie clothes and a drawstring purse. I think the purse had an owl on it, or maybe it was a butterfly.


What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
My current goal is to use up some of the supplies I already have! I have too much fun shopping for materials. In fact, I'm going to an estate sale today......
On the horizon, I hope to have enough jewelry to participate in some arts and crafts fairs. I also would like to have some of my work in local shops.
Further down the road, I would love to take a metal class and work with reclaimed materials.


Anything else you'd like to add?
I'm glad to be a Trashionista!

5 comments:

virtuallori said...

Go Alx! Your work is getting more and more beautiful all the time. I'm proud to say I knew you when...

xo

Celeste Jean said...

really interesting... i love making my projects economical, resourceful, and most of all, earth friendly!

Jayme said...

Gorgeous work!

LakeErieBeachGlass said...

Alex, I love the detailed work you put into your pieces! Very beautiful! Defiantely a favorite style of mine! :0)

kimmy said...

i just hearted royalty.........its my favorite color. perhaps my husband will get it for my birthday...love your work.
xxoo