Pages

10/29/2007

Trashion team spotlight - Interview: Sweet Pepita

Shop name: Sweet Pepita
Shop address: www.sweetpepita.etsy.com
In a nutshell: I make infant clothing from organic cotton and recycled fabric


Tell us a bit about yourself : I’m a jeweler who has always been sewing. I still work for another jeweler, but since my baby was born, I haven’t been able to work in my own studio. I had to figure out a way to be able to work in the same space as my little girl.

Trashion materials: Organic cotton and recycled fabric

I transform them into: Infant t-shirts and hats

How do you do it?
I cut apart recycled clothing and combine the pieces with organic cotton.

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?
Our house is teeny tiny and we have to be really selective about what we keep around and buy… I had old t-shirts that I knew I was never going to wear again, but I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of them. Sewing them into clothes for Pepita was my solution. I hate waste. Communities dedicated to not only keeping discarded items out of landfills, but transforming them into beautiful and useful products are essential. It’s a way of life.

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept? What was it?
Jeez, I think every kid made toys out of leftovers and trash. We had tin can stilts and, of course, kazoos made from toilet paper tubes, wax paper and rubber bands. I used to buy olive oil that came in a beautiful printed tin. I always cut the tin up and used it in projects when it was empty.
What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
I’m working on expanding my infant line to include toddler sizes and accessories for adults.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?
People should buy handmade items if they want a well-made high quality, unique product. Buying handmade products is an investment in the community. Buying handmade products from trashion is an investment in the whole earth.

No comments: