Pages

10/23/2007

Trashion team spotlight - Interview: SweetWolf Designs


Shop name: SweetWolf Designs
Shop address: www.SweetWolf.etsy.com

In a nutshell:
Need to create, collect, forage, and hoard. Must purge creatively. Need money to further creative/ hoarding habits. Vicious cycle!

Tell us a bit about yourself
I have been married for 11 years, and am proud of it! I enjoy hanging out with my husband and my friends, usually not at the same time! I go out to see live music pretty often, since I live in the ‘live music capitol’ –Austin, Texas. I have 4 children and they all have fur. 2 cats and 2 dogs, the loves of my life! I read a lot, watch too much TV, and work at a job that is not that stressful. I have tried selling at local outdoor markets before, but etsy is my first foray into online selling. So far, I love it! I am really into reuse and recycling and have been for most of my life. My parents taught me the value of reuse early on. I have been creating stuff for myself and my friends for years. They encouraged me to pursue selling it.

Trashion materials:
Thrifted fabrics and gee gaws and knick knacks! Parts from used electronic equipment or random cool looking things I see on the ground. Friends give me things (aka trash) that they think is cool and they know I will eventually find a repurpose for it!

I transform them into:
the ‘hard stuff ‘ usually goes into Clocks, collages, frames or mirrors. The ‘soft’ stuff is made into wearable items like purses, bags or pouches. ( I sometimes refit them into clothing, but that is mainly for myself.)

How do you do it?
I am lucky enough to have a workroom, so I can just lock myself in and create! I also have a garage, and play with tools in there, when I need to saw or sand.

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?
Inspired by? Life itself! I never know what the heck is going to inspire me. It’s other peoples castoffs a lot of the time! I will just see something and think of the other life it could have.

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept? What was it?
I can’t really, cause it was probably when I got my first sewing machine at age 8. There have been so many things I have made since then!
I think it was a tooth pillow or a blankie for one of my dolls.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
Currently I have about 300 projects going. OK maybe only 30. But I am always in the midst of at least 2 projects. Right now, I am working on ideas for stuff to sell, working on prototypes, and making things for me to use this fall! Like a crazy quilted bag that I started a while back. The horizon is full of stuff to do, now I just have to find the time and energy to do them!

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?
Well, I always appreciate handmade stuff more, because it seems so much more real. There is something about making and owning a one of a kind object, and if you used recycled or upcycled items to create, it is more likely to be ‘one of a kind’.
Handmade represents what it says, it was made by another humans hands. They put thought and time into it, and quite possibly blood or tears into it also! Factory made stuff is essential for our society, handmade is not necessarily essential, and that also makes it special.

More you'd like to share:
I am relatively new to ‘cyberspace’ and the venues it offers. I only got a computer last year! I resisted for a long time, but now that I am familiar with all that being online has to offer, I seem to be spending too much time on here! I am excited about the possibilities though! Thanks for reading!

No comments: