Pages

2/23/2008

Trashion Team Spotlight- Interview with Lori from Fisheye!

Shop Address: www.fisheye.etsy.com

Tell us a bit about yourself : I have always seen unusual possibilities in discarded materials. Lately I've found the time and drive to create some of these visions.

Trashion materials: unwanted garments made from linen, cotton, or wool, found buttons, vintage household linens

I transform them into: lots of bags, purses and totes

How do you do it? Well, it involves a lot of space and a big mess, to spread out my possible materials and decide what to do next. Then I cut things up and sew them together. Sometimes I keep elements of the original garment, like pockets, pleats, etc. as part of the bag. It's interesting to recognize the heritage of these pieces.

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion? I guess the inspiration is seeing really useless garments made from beautiful fabrics. I find things in thrift shops and want to make something new, useful and relevant with this fabric.




What was the first thing you made using a trashion concept? The first thing I remember is taking a plastic mesh onion bag and sewing in a zipper, to use as a purse. This was in maybe 7th grade. Hey, I'm still making purses; have I progressed at all?

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?

Currently, I'm working through a big pile of linen fabric. It's so great for Spring and Summer bags.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion? It's a way to own unique, creative items, that have a history and a story, and have been touched by human hands and hearts.











How cute is the strap/zipper idea?!

Thanks for taking us behind the scenes of Fisheye Lori. : ) We look forward to more fabulous repurposed totes and purses!

1 comment:

glasfaden said...

Nice to read about the story behind your creations, Lori! :)